Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 2, 3 & 4 @ The Campbell's

So far, so good! On Day 2, Mackenzie and I cooked a pizza that we had in the freezer from Costco. I know that's not the healthiest dinner, nor would it really be considered "cooking" but for the past few months, pizza seems to be the only food she craves so it's better than if she didn't eat at all! Either way, it was cooked in our oven so we went with it!

On Day 3, I cooked my FAVOURITE pasta dinner! I've been making this recipe for at least 15 years now. It was an adaptation from a dish at a restaurant called Oscar Taylor's that Ian and I used to frequent in our early years.


Grilled Chicken & Penne Pasta

3 or 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (grilled & sliced thinly)
1 large clove garlic (peeled & minced)
4 tbsp (1/4 cup) flour
1 1/3 cups milk (I use skim but 2% would make a creamier sauce)
2 cups crushed or diced canned tomatoes (I cheat...I use the whole 28oz can)
1/4 to 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (the powdered kind...if you're using the real thing, you might want to use less)
1 tsp thyme (the dried kind), (if using ground thyme use 1/4 tsp)
1 tsp basil
1-2 cups uncooked penne pasta (cook according to package directions)
2-2 1/2 cups broccoli

1. Grill, bake, bbq or pan-fry chicken breasts until done.
Slice thinly or cut into cubes. (Note: A package of the pre-cooked, pre-sliced chicken from Costco makes a quick short-cut for busy nights)
2. Put chicken and garlic in a large (wok-size) non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Cook 1-2 min (don't let the garlic burn).
3. Add canned tomatoes & herbs.
4.
Combine flour and milk in a small bowl with a whisk to prevent lumps. Slowly whisk the milk/flour mixture into your sauce.
5. Bring to a boil slowly, stirring frequently as sauce starts to thicken.
6. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Reduce heat to low or medium-low, cover and simmer.
7. Cook pasta according to package directions.
8. Cook broccoli separately or add it in to the pot with your pasta 2-4 minutes before the pasta is done.
9. Drain pasta. Toss pasta and broccoli in with the sauce.
10. Serve with grated Parmesan and/or fresh ground pepper.

Since I haven't been cooking very often in recent months...I doubled the recipe and froze 10 small containers for my lunch! YUM! Note: I often double the garlic and basil in this recipe...just personal preference.

Day 4: Leftovers from Day 3...woo hoo!

Lori

P.S. The picture shows a lunch-size Corel plate. I had used Italian Sausage/Asiago Tortellini instead of penne so I was only able to eat half...very filling.



1 comment:

Jenn said...

Looks delicious, I'll have to make that for us one day.

BTW Is Oscar Taylors still there?

Jenn

Labels

Blog Archive

 

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum